AdMob surveyed a thousand daily mobile app consumers in markets with high app downloads. The report was not widely circulated, but no worry! We share the report summary with you, and you may download the original report here.
1. Reach users in new markets
App downloads and usage rates vary by country.
- 64% of smartphone owners report using up to 5 apps a day at the most.
2. Build games with depth
Users enjoy apps that offer deep engagement.
- 59% install games within a week of getting their phones, higher than any other type of app.
- Given 5 minutes of time, mobile app users will check email, use a social network, or read the news.
- 31% of users with 30 minutes of free time choose to play games, more than any other activity we asked about.
3. Choose an appropriate business model
Users prefer to download free apps.
- 34% of app users have upgraded from a free app to a paid version, making this the most widely experienced business model.
- On average, 85% of users we surveyed haven’t made an in-app purchase. Building a loyal user base is crucial to success.
4. Earn with Ads
Users click on and recall in-app ads.
- 53% of users click on ads in apps at least some of the time.
- Users in China and South Korea report particularly interaction.
- 60% of users recall ads in apps.
5. Get discovered
Users value good app store listings and reviews.
- 25% of app users discover apps by browsing app stores, more than any other discovery method, except in China
- 57% say cost is the most important factor when choosing an app to download, and 54% say user ratings & reviews.
6. Keep users happy
Simplify navigation and localize well.
- Ease of navigation is the most important smartphone app experience in each country surveyed, but to a lesser degree in Japan and South Korea.